Friday, June 10, 2005

ha... FAG!

While in the process of dropping a deuce in a bathroom down the hall from where I am working, I noticed that there is a written arguement taking place on the walls of the stall. What was this arguement about do you ask? Well, according to the archaelogical evidence left on the walls, it would seem that frat guys are gay. It also seems that homosexual men DO after all use the same bathroom as the rest of us, and think that we are all homophobes. Now of course, I infer that "we" means the people calling other people gay on the bathroom walls.

This all got me to thinking of course.

There are often people that argue that you should not use the adjective "gay" figuratively to refer to something that isn't homosexual, but rather stupid. Now, as someone who in the past and currently refer to stupid things as "REALLY GAY", I may have a biased outlook on the subject, but believe me, before I tackle an issue I always try to see the other side of the coin.

The arguement is, that if you refer to something (or someone) who is stupid, inefficient, or just simply not right as gay; then by saying that, you are saying that gay = stupid, etc. I have to call this logic into question. Just becuase you are using an adjective in a different way than it is meant to be used, it doesn't mean that you are a homophobe.... it just means that you're black and you are on the cutting edge of slang. "Tight" never felt so right before it was used to describe something cool... lol (I really did just laugh at myself). Listen, people take certain liberties with this English language that we speak, and one of the great things about the language is that no matter what was grammatically correct 2 minutes ago, now "hizzy" is a viable noun used to describe ones domicile... and we all understand that.

As a matter of fact, speaking of grammatically correct, this rant is an English teacher's nightmare. This has more run-on sentences than Courtney Love at a custody hearing while on barbituates..... maybe not that much.

I lose focus easily

Here is my arguement, which completely negates EVERY other argument. When people call someone gay, or refer to something as gay, they are not trying to insult gay people. They are trying to insult the person they are talking to. Gay people (and straight people for that matter) that get offended by someone's choice of words, need to stop being so self-involved and self-centered and realize that not everything that is said by everyone pertains to you specifically.

If I was to call someone gay, it would be someone who has a severe insecurity about their sexuality, and it would be a great insult in that case then, wouldn't it? When you're insulting someone you want to call them a name that THEY would take the most offense to personally. Now, i don't have a problem with gay people, gay people don't have a problem with gay people, the only person that does have a problem is the person I just tried to insult. It a hard point to convey, but I hope you're following me.

Basic point: Don't worry about the slang, the more you try to control it, the more out of hand it gets. If you want it to end, just get lame, white, 40 year olds to start saying it in commercials.

Sorry this was hard to follow... it just sort of mutated this time...



Have a great weekend

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post was totally gay.