Monday, June 06, 2005

A whole week

Wow, it's been a busy week for me. One whole week without a post.

So I started a new job last Tuesday. I was really excited about it because I was going to be doing work I liked and at the same time making a whole lot of money. Things don't always work out like you plan.

On my application I had written that my expected rate of pay was 11.00/hr., a fairly low pay rate for an experienced computer technician. The sign outside of the business said that it was hiring techs for 10.00/hr, so I figured, well, I should be able to convice them that I'm worth 11.00.... wrong. When I went for my first day of work on Tuesday, we still had not discussed the rate at which I was to be paid. As I was filling out my tax forms I brought it up, and the manager promptly informed me that the starting rate was 7.25/hr.... I was in shock.

After letting this set in for about 1/2 hour and trying not to blow a head gasket, I got a chance to talk to him alone and tried to convey the message that 7.25/hr is not what I signed up for and that I need to be paid more than that. He assured me that even HE doesn't make much more than 7.25 hour and that he would do all he could to try to get me more. So he calls up the owner and manages to get it raised to 7.50! Wow. Anyway, so I continue working the next few days, really sore about the ass raping that is taking place and feeling very deceived by these guys for advertising false information so that they could attract knowledgeable employees and then sandbag them.

So, on Thursday he busts out with the no-competition agreement, saying that I can't start my own business or be involved with any other similar business in any way. Pretty much saying that I can't work at Miami even. After thinking long and hard about it, I came to the conclusion that I would be much better off just going back to Miami full time, and starting a consulting business in the fall. I can charge 25 dollars/hr, and work on my own terms. Long story short, stay away from Xtend Computers, they are dishonest, and inefficient.

Anyone who needs computer help may email me or call me

I'm tired...

No comments: